Sunday, January 18, 2009

New project!

As some of you may know, I've decided to raise some additional money for the orphanage in which I spent time at in Kenya. Located on the outskirts of Nairobi, Gathiga Childrens Hope Home and Rehabilitation Center or G.C.H.H. is a place where kids get a second chance at life. The home is run by Lucy Njoki Ndegwa, a great woman who has taken it upon herself to take in street kids and orphans and provide them with basic care and an education. Her husband, son and daughter also actively involved.

When I arrived in late 2008, the children there had irregular access to dirty drinking water. Their tank was damaged and thus contaminated. With the help of contributions from friends and family, we were able to build the hundred or so children a water tower consisting of a 2300L tank, a sturdy 15ft steel structure, a new pump, sink and a deeper well.
Having achieved all this, the kids are still have poor nutrition as they only eat Ugali (a mixture of maize flour and water) and greens. Inflation in the country has forced Lucy to cut down on all other basic foods (i.e. beans, rice, meat, vegetables)

I am hoping to provide them with the funds to build a chicken coup, buy chicks and provide enough feed for startup. This should serve two purposes. First a sustainable food source in the form of eggs, meat, plus a small additional income from the sale of chickens and eggs.

The coup will require a constant water source, which I believe, we have accomplished with the tower. Now all that remains is a basic shelter for the chickens, a stock of feed (enough to get them started) and the birds. I am Raising $1000 CAD for this project. Through the sale of “I İY Kenyan Orphans” bracelets with help I’ve raised over 300 dollars so far, yet as I am out of the country, raising the remainder will be difficult. I need your help in raising awareness for this small project. If you are interested in donating to this project, or know anybody who is, please go to http://www.ilovekenyanorphans.com/.

Thanks for all your help!

Dom

If you have any questions you can reach me at pocketshards@gmail.com

No comments: