Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Kerala Backwaters & Varkala beach

I wasn't quite ready to move on from Mysore but the bro was in some desperate need of sun and Tamara saw one to many corpses so we headed down the coast to see Kerala's famed backwaters.
One of the Canals that run through Alleppy, on the coast near Kochi.
We lightened things up with a cooking class in Kochi. On the menu was Masala Dosa(wafer thin rice pancake with potato curry), Aloo Gobi(Cauliflower and potato) and Sambar(okra, some 30 spices and carrot).
New! Try Horlicks today! Who let this slide past the board meeting. Who?!
I barely got Cubase going but FL Studio runs like a dream. Not bad for a netbook.

Kerala backwaters are a must do if you find yourself in southern India. We stopped off a few times for chai, food and a nice walk around the paddy fields.
Houseboat graveyard.
Rice paddy fields about 2 months into their 4 month cycle. Didn't know this but the field eventually dries up by harvest. I was under the impression that they picked the rice by hand in the mud. Whoops.
Tamara and Mikhail enjoying the little 'cruise' so far.
Sun burnt and bearded, but havin a good time!
The trip lasted about 8 hours so bring a book!
A nice home cooked meal. I wasn't really into the canal fish though
Finally! After trekking south on the coast we get to Varkala... packaged paradise. Since its the end of the season here, those people on the beach will be headed home in a few days and we'll have the place to ourselves for a week. The cliffs also prevented tourista development from totally swallowing the place so its not so bad! Thiruvananthapuram, at the tip of the subcontinent, is close by. I might make my way down there while Mikhail enjoys some sun before getting back to the cubicle.

Ever since I got off the plane, many Indians of the Christian faith have been constantly telling/laughing/snickering at me that I remind them of somebody. Its been over a month now! I think I'm gonna take the easy way out! Where's my razor?
The beach looks great but it can get deadly down there. There's a really strong rip tide running and the waves can get a little high. I'm told that every year experienced swimmers get pulled into the sea.
That's my Robot pose. I think we found a good spot so we'll chill out for a few days.
Disco party, table 5.
Concentrations levels up 10 fold since doing his first Yoga class.

No comments: