Thursday, October 9, 2008

Damascus

Damascus is an awesome city. The bazaars and Markets are amazing here. The people are just so friendly. I walked into a small bakery and asked for a pistachio treat. When I came to pay, the vendor motions "don't worry about it" Naturally most westerners would then insist on paying for what they bought, so I try again. Nope. My cash is no good here. The very next store I fill up a small bottle of olive oil and the merchant gives me the same routine! The shop keepers and street vendors will actually let you shop in peace and the food is amazing here.
We were so close to buying a guitar here. 60 bucks for a semi piece of junk. With some bargaining I'm thinking 40 would have been good. I think I'll wait till we get to Lebanon.

Mother of pearl inlay sofas, chairs and backgammon sets. This stuff would make any apartment look like a royal palace.

I'm coming back for this one

Al-Assad, why wont you let me use Facebook, Blogger and other freedom loving sites? It took us two web technicians to fool the servers into giving us access to dangerous sites like CNN etc. The Internet here is pretty controlled. This guy has more posters around town than Saddam had back in the day.

Off next to Palmyra

1 comment:

kevyn said...

love the iraq shot. not the same without you!